Friday, May 19, 2006

Quick updates.

First, the doctor:

Before I'd left, I'd inquired how I was supposed to get my test results: did I have to come back in at a certain time, etc., etc..

The receptionist looked at me as though I were from Mars.
"Just call."
"I -- oh, wow, you can really do that here?"
The receptionist blinked slowly at me and gave me a "do you mind? we're kind of busy here?" sort of indulgent smile.
"I mean, in the States, I think there's a law or something -- well, anyway, ok, hey, that's great, thanks. So, I'll just call, then. Uh...bye!"

So yesterday I call.
Me: "Hi, I'd like to find out my test results, please."
Receptionist (incredulously): "Over the PHONE???"

I narrowly refrained from retorting, "Why, yes -- that's how we do it in the States," which wouldn't actually have made any sense, but would've given the episode a pleasing symmetry, which is often the best you can hope for in dealing with India.

Update #2: Sudan.

The posting was snapped up by someone more senior than me.

I feel like I want to find out where the successful bidder was from, to make sure I don't go there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home