Thursday, July 08, 2010

Retooling

The professional blogging is going pretty well so far. What seemed at first like an unwieldy CMS now purrs along compliantly at my fingertips (always a thrill), and, while Photoshop is still a challenge, I'm finding photo editing to be quite fun.

But. In the space of going from tentative to cocky, I'm also starting to (silently, of course) disagree with some of Jean-Luc's managing-editorial aesthetic decisions. Today, I caught myself wishing I had my own glossy-slick blog that I could run my way. And then I thought: why not?

No, not like our short-lived digression into Esquivalience II (to which I'm not even gonna bother linking). But that was, I think, the right idea. Frankly, Facebook is a more natural platform for personal (but hopefully, not too personal) daily micro-blogging. Perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad thing to set aside the navel-gazing of Esquivalience I for a bit (until, perhaps, Germany) and embark on something different and more broadly aimed. Let's say: half the introspection; all the idiosyncrasy.

So. Decisions need to be made. Content? That's the tough nut. Sadly, only Sully can really do Sullivan, I think. But we may still need to go in the general/current events/profeminist/anti-essentialist direction. I'd love to do a niche blog, but my mind doesn't do niche, you see.

Name? That's a hard one, too. "Distaff Diplomacy" is kinda cringe-worthy, isn't it? Dunno. Maybe we'll go with "Esquivalience III" (but drop the explicit "III," sorta for the same reasons that the movie is called "The Madness of King George" and not "The Madness of King George III).

Then there're all the lesser decisions. WordPress? And if so, self-hosted or shared? Or stick with a CMS I know, like Expression Engine? Or just go with Blogger?

Whatcha think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home