ISO co-adventurist (m/f)
So here's the thing, and I'm absolutely serious:
Anyone up for a bike trip the second or third week of Sept?
As you might have guessed, K was supposed to accompany me. The conversation went a little like this:
E: "OK! Monday's the deadline for me to put in my vacation time. You've had a week to mull it over. Moment of truth: are you in or out?"
K: "In."
E: "Definite?"
K: "Yeah."
E: "Cool! So I'm going to start making reservations." (suddenly troubled) "Ah -- in, even if something really good comes up?"
K: "Well...not if something really incredible comes up."
E: "Yeah, see, that's kind of what I meant by 'in.' Do you mean so incredible that you'd reimburse me the hotel cancellation fees?"
K: "Why should I have to do that? Things come up."
So, bike trip with K, not so much. Time spent waffling and changing plans every other day: six months. Time spent neither paying rent nor doing particularly much around the house: six months. Distance into the future unable to commit to something that I want to do: three weeks. Also, watch this space: I anticipate that K will be moving out soon.
Anyway: Biking option A is the Katy Trail, in Missouri, approx 200 miles from Sedalia to St. Charles. The plan is to do this in 5 - 6 days (optional day sightseeing at the end), at a leisurely pace while taking in the sights. Maximum daily mileage: 43; most days closer to 35. Co-adventurist would have to get self to and from St. Louis and either bring a bike or rent one there ($30/day). If co-adventurist doesn't snore or have a criminal background, co-adventurist may share B&B rooms with me at my cost. Separate beds.
Biking option B is the C&O Trail, from Cumberland, MD to DC, approx 180 miles. The co-adventurist would need to get self and bike to DC and back (I do have a spare, so borrowing is negotiable). Car rental to Cumberland and lodging, as above, covered by moi. Pace as above, approx 35 miles/day over 5 days.
Both trails are former railways and are relatively flat and away from vehicle traffic, are next to waterways and go through pretty scenery. No real biking experience, nor fancy bike, needed to complete either, though the trails are unpaved and days 4 and 5 may find you a bit raw (proper padded bike shorts recommended).
The ideal window is sometime during Sept 7 - 23, though I can be flexible for someone who's truly in.
Anyone up for a bike trip the second or third week of Sept?
As you might have guessed, K was supposed to accompany me. The conversation went a little like this:
E: "OK! Monday's the deadline for me to put in my vacation time. You've had a week to mull it over. Moment of truth: are you in or out?"
K: "In."
E: "Definite?"
K: "Yeah."
E: "Cool! So I'm going to start making reservations." (suddenly troubled) "Ah -- in, even if something really good comes up?"
K: "Well...not if something really incredible comes up."
E: "Yeah, see, that's kind of what I meant by 'in.' Do you mean so incredible that you'd reimburse me the hotel cancellation fees?"
K: "Why should I have to do that? Things come up."
So, bike trip with K, not so much. Time spent waffling and changing plans every other day: six months. Time spent neither paying rent nor doing particularly much around the house: six months. Distance into the future unable to commit to something that I want to do: three weeks. Also, watch this space: I anticipate that K will be moving out soon.
Anyway: Biking option A is the Katy Trail, in Missouri, approx 200 miles from Sedalia to St. Charles. The plan is to do this in 5 - 6 days (optional day sightseeing at the end), at a leisurely pace while taking in the sights. Maximum daily mileage: 43; most days closer to 35. Co-adventurist would have to get self to and from St. Louis and either bring a bike or rent one there ($30/day). If co-adventurist doesn't snore or have a criminal background, co-adventurist may share B&B rooms with me at my cost. Separate beds.
Biking option B is the C&O Trail, from Cumberland, MD to DC, approx 180 miles. The co-adventurist would need to get self and bike to DC and back (I do have a spare, so borrowing is negotiable). Car rental to Cumberland and lodging, as above, covered by moi. Pace as above, approx 35 miles/day over 5 days.
Both trails are former railways and are relatively flat and away from vehicle traffic, are next to waterways and go through pretty scenery. No real biking experience, nor fancy bike, needed to complete either, though the trails are unpaved and days 4 and 5 may find you a bit raw (proper padded bike shorts recommended).
The ideal window is sometime during Sept 7 - 23, though I can be flexible for someone who's truly in.
2 Comments:
-
Ted Frank said...
-
- 12:45 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 2:42 PM
Post a CommentJeez Louise, does K not know about this blog?
Stay away from hurricane areas for your bike trip...
<< Home