Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Career by committee

***
UPDATE: Oops! Try this, which is to the e-journal itself. It (wisely) doesn't mention the salary, which is in the $36 - 42K range. But on second thought, you needn't check it out at all: a quick investigation into west LA real estate reveals it's more expensive than DC; so, really, a non-starter. A pity: put this job in Portland, and we'd have a winner.
***

What do we think of this?

On the pro side, campuses are great places to work. And while I wasn't planning on taking that steep a pay cut, the benefits -- including reduced tuition -- are pretty good. Plus, I'd be switching careers, and it'd be a way of leveraging my Asia experience to gain the "editor" title without spending several years as an even more poorly-paid copy clerk.

On the con side, working on a campus in a nonacademic job might feel a bit second-class-citizen-ish. And LA doesn't top my list of places I'd want to live -- geez, I don't even drive -- and it's not the sort of job, I think, that would stay fun or interesting for all that long. It's the kind of job one would take as a leap of faith, while hoping that additional possibilities, unseeable from one's present position, would then emerge. And if they didn't? Much time spent on smoggy bus rides, I guess.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not clear from the link what the job is. I assume it recognizes your computer and takes you straight to the listing, but I just get a generic career opportunities page. -Shani

8:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, the link doesn't go deep enough.

I think you should be doing this (Head of DC office, or anything really):
http://www.independentdiplomat.com/html/employment.html#Senior_Positions

Make sure to include recent entry about Dr. Who in your application. One of the bigwigs there, or actually in Europe, is a huge fan.

3:39 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Oh, a grown-up job.
Yeah.

The organization looks like a terrific idea ("Diplomats without Borders"?), but I think my latest conclusion is that I need to hop out of this jobstream entirely, or else completely lose my frickin' mind.

Thanks for the suggestions, though, and keep 'em coming...

5:22 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home