Four hours after finishing Series 2 of the new Doctor Who
Otherwise known as midnight, give or take.
Setting: A singularly organic bed.
E: "It's interesting how Rose ends out her run on the show with her dead father back, her parents happily together and much wealthier, her ex-boyfriend newly-proven brave and worthy, and with a high-powered and noble career, you know? All because of her time with The Doctor."
K (groggily): "You're just realizing this now?"
E (lying): "No."
K: "Mmpf."
E: "But think about it! It's like Pretty Woman for Southwark girls. Ummm, without the sex, I mean."
K: "Ggghlmp."
E: "Unless...oh! You don't think -- do you? -- the whole "traveling together," all the "seeing the universe" -- well, I mean, they make a point, don't they, of how "mind-expanding," it is; that's a time-tested trope straight out of Rocky Horror -- do you suppose all the exploration..its centrality; the suspicious absence of on-screen affection; the origin of the show in the early 60's and how the mores prevalent at that time would have forced the writers to be subversive; the fact that he's 953 and she's 19 -- saw a bit of that in Thailand, by the way -- the payout to her at the end...my god, it's true; all the journeying on the show -- it's just one big metaphor for her passage from innocence to courtesan, isn't it?"
K (suspiciously): "You haven't been blogging, have you?"
..
But I still think Tennant is an annoying, mugging substitute for the sublime and smoldering Eccleston. And that the series has become hopelessly -- and, on reflection, unavoidably -- formulaic. Kudos to the creators of the "Love & Monsters" ep for trying creatively to overcome these constraints and managing to be funny as hell in the process. And K and I both greatly appreciated the brilliantly executed showdown between the Daleks and the Cybermen in "Doomsday." Aw, just go watch the best bit yourselves (poorly edited; scene actually ends at about 4:00, disregard the rest).
Setting: A singularly organic bed.
E: "It's interesting how Rose ends out her run on the show with her dead father back, her parents happily together and much wealthier, her ex-boyfriend newly-proven brave and worthy, and with a high-powered and noble career, you know? All because of her time with The Doctor."
K (groggily): "You're just realizing this now?"
E (lying): "No."
K: "Mmpf."
E: "But think about it! It's like Pretty Woman for Southwark girls. Ummm, without the sex, I mean."
K: "Ggghlmp."
E: "Unless...oh! You don't think -- do you? -- the whole "traveling together," all the "seeing the universe" -- well, I mean, they make a point, don't they, of how "mind-expanding," it is; that's a time-tested trope straight out of Rocky Horror -- do you suppose all the exploration..its centrality; the suspicious absence of on-screen affection; the origin of the show in the early 60's and how the mores prevalent at that time would have forced the writers to be subversive; the fact that he's 953 and she's 19 -- saw a bit of that in Thailand, by the way -- the payout to her at the end...my god, it's true; all the journeying on the show -- it's just one big metaphor for her passage from innocence to courtesan, isn't it?"
K (suspiciously): "You haven't been blogging, have you?"
..
But I still think Tennant is an annoying, mugging substitute for the sublime and smoldering Eccleston. And that the series has become hopelessly -- and, on reflection, unavoidably -- formulaic. Kudos to the creators of the "Love & Monsters" ep for trying creatively to overcome these constraints and managing to be funny as hell in the process. And K and I both greatly appreciated the brilliantly executed showdown between the Daleks and the Cybermen in "Doomsday." Aw, just go watch the best bit yourselves (poorly edited; scene actually ends at about 4:00, disregard the rest).
5 Comments:
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 6:47 PM
-
esquiver said...
-
- 7:43 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 11:48 AM
-
esquiver said...
-
- 5:24 PM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 9:37 AM
Post a CommentTennant's performance is considerably more restrained in Series 3 (or 30, to us Old Skool types). The first half of the season is kinda meh, but then there's "Human Nature" and "Family of Blood," in which Tennant is utterly brilliant. Just breathtaking. The episodes get better and better after that until the whole thing explodes into a great big steaming pile of shite in the last one. (But that's not Tennant's fault at all, it's Russell T. Davies'. You'd think after three seasons of producing the show, he'd have a better idea of what the Doctor actually is.)
Ah well, I'll have to wait for it to reach Netflix. BBC North America, I presume? Do they show "Shameless"? I'm getting impatient waiting for the last season to hit DVD.
And wouldja do the evite thing for the reunion, already, if you're seriously in? I SO can't decide whether to go.
SciFi network is actually your US source for (delayed) Doctor Who. I think they're about two thirds of the way through the season (or series, if you stick to British usage) already, but for the past two seasons ISTR that they've run marathons at or after the end, so you can probably catch up easily enough.
Or if Kate and I manage to keep the apartment clean enough for visitors you can join us (eventually), as I've got them piling up on a computer here. She still hasn't seen the first Tennant season, so I plan on running her through the better episodes before jumping into the newest season.
BBC America does seem to be showing Torchwood, FWIW (which isn't much, I admit).
Oo, yes, please.
Now I just need to cadge a series of rotating invitations for the upcoming season of Lost...
We'll be getting Lost from iTunes again, so you have a standing invitation to come over and watch it whenever you'd like. -Shani
<< Home