Thursday, May 11, 2006

In the news...

I refer you all to today's NYT story on Mumbai mango madness. Not to be too contrarian, but I do actually prefer the entirely underrated Thai mango, which is firmer, less sweet, and altogether more restrained, seemly and proper than its exuberant, crude and runny South Asian cousin. Furthermore, there is no tradition here of khao niao maa muang -- mango, drizzled with sweet coconut sauce, and served on a bed of warm sticky rice. One couldn't add a sweet sauce to the Indian Alphonso mango -- the whole thing would reach a phase shift point and caramelize instantly into hard little blocks of pure sugar. I will say, to the Alphonso's credit, that chopped into small bits and served with a decent vanilla ice cream, they make a tasty -- if unsatisfyingly uncomplicated -- dessert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home