The sagacity of Italophile
Man, this blog just paid for itself.
Following the freakin' brilliant advice of Italo (in comments below) I emailed the landlady, and, rather than alternate between snarkiness and hostility, as is my first impulse, said something along these lines: Look, it's certainly your prerogative to raise the rent, but, before you do, please consider the going rate for other properties that are in similar less-than-tiptop condition, the fact that rents, like home prices, have been dropping in this area [Note to I.: why research when you can bluster?], my history as a tenant, and the fact that this increase would likely make it necessary for me to begin looking for another place, etc, etc.
And she wrote back, saying: ok!1! Lets leave as is than!
It could be a prelude to her quietly finding her own (wealthier) tenant, yes. And I'll continue to fret about suddenly getting the lease-mandated notice, which would almost certainly be less actual notice than I'd need to move (by about a factor of three), but, mainly: phew. I got enough on my plate right now.
And Italo, next time you're in town, I'm totally gonna find the fanciest seitan steaks this burg's got to offer.
Following the freakin' brilliant advice of Italo (in comments below) I emailed the landlady, and, rather than alternate between snarkiness and hostility, as is my first impulse, said something along these lines: Look, it's certainly your prerogative to raise the rent, but, before you do, please consider the going rate for other properties that are in similar less-than-tiptop condition, the fact that rents, like home prices, have been dropping in this area [Note to I.: why research when you can bluster?], my history as a tenant, and the fact that this increase would likely make it necessary for me to begin looking for another place, etc, etc.
And she wrote back, saying: ok!1! Lets leave as is than!
It could be a prelude to her quietly finding her own (wealthier) tenant, yes. And I'll continue to fret about suddenly getting the lease-mandated notice, which would almost certainly be less actual notice than I'd need to move (by about a factor of three), but, mainly: phew. I got enough on my plate right now.
And Italo, next time you're in town, I'm totally gonna find the fanciest seitan steaks this burg's got to offer.
2 Comments:
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 2:46 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 10:26 PM
Post a CommentHurrah! I'm glad it worked. No seitan steaks necessary, really.
Hey! I was the one who suggested that before you BUY a house, you should first decide WHICH state you wanted to live in....Okay, so that's not exactly seitan steak worthy--but that's at least worth a cup of coffee, don't ya think?
(Lousy Eye-tie--gets the right answer, and then has the nerve to be gracious...I really am beginning to hate that guy....)
<< Home