And so it ends
We're really through this time, I think.
The thing about distance is that it quietly dissolves the shared subjectivity illusion that grows up like moss on the person you share your life with for too long: that I-am-you-ness that makes it impossible to even properly perceive your partner, never mind contemplate your life without them. Then you're apart for three months, and, suddenly, without having noticed it leaving, you realize it's gone. And he suggests coming back for a visit and you think, in a panic: and have my sleep hopelessly disturbed by that damn balcony door as you go out for a smoke two or three times in the night? For that matter, to have the stink of tobacco everywhere again? And the same old endless misunderstandings? The dreary circular conversations? The dashed plans, and the disappointments? What on earth for?
The relationship simply disintegrated. It'd been patched and mended so many times, it just crumbled into dust. I found myself pushing for the seeing-other-people clause, even though simply reading the classifieds with intent makes my stomach churn. He riposted with a then-we-shouldn't-communicate-for-several months ultimatum. I responded as I always do to ultimata (which he ought to know by now): bring it on, baby. (It's a visceral thing; I can't help it. Hate ultimata.) We hung up and he, apparently, instantly got to work on the magnanimous so-it-ends email (unless, possibly, he had it pre-drafted, like a celebrity obit). In part, I think, the haste was to instantly recast things as his ending it (he didn't). In large part, though, I think it was an attempt to cement it, to make it bloody well take this time, and I'm ok with that. In fact, I think it's a good idea -- such a good idea, even, that I'm not replying and will let him have the last word (and, if you know me at all, you know that's monumental).
Of course I'm distraught. Crushed. Anxious. Even a little irrationally angry: K was never meant to be permanent. K was someone I picked up in NY to get over a different unrequited crush in NY, which ignited on the heels of a horrible romantic meltdown in Portland (it was an unusually bad season). It was clear to me from the start that K wasn't the love of my life, and yet through sheer persistence...and then inertia...and then, finally, that damned shared subjectivity, he nevertheless became an integral part of it. And in so doing, I burned up the last five years before one hits the higher-chances-of-being-killed-by-a-terrorist territory. I knew it was a mistake, and I was unable to act, and I suspect I'll be paying for my cowardice for a long time to come.
On a day-to-day basis, I try to tell myself, what's the difference? He hasn't been here for months, and there was never a clear sense of how we might get back together. Now it'll be just like that, only with less ambiguity. Somehow, though, the difference is huge.
The thing about distance is that it quietly dissolves the shared subjectivity illusion that grows up like moss on the person you share your life with for too long: that I-am-you-ness that makes it impossible to even properly perceive your partner, never mind contemplate your life without them. Then you're apart for three months, and, suddenly, without having noticed it leaving, you realize it's gone. And he suggests coming back for a visit and you think, in a panic: and have my sleep hopelessly disturbed by that damn balcony door as you go out for a smoke two or three times in the night? For that matter, to have the stink of tobacco everywhere again? And the same old endless misunderstandings? The dreary circular conversations? The dashed plans, and the disappointments? What on earth for?
The relationship simply disintegrated. It'd been patched and mended so many times, it just crumbled into dust. I found myself pushing for the seeing-other-people clause, even though simply reading the classifieds with intent makes my stomach churn. He riposted with a then-we-shouldn't-communicate-for-several months ultimatum. I responded as I always do to ultimata (which he ought to know by now): bring it on, baby. (It's a visceral thing; I can't help it. Hate ultimata.) We hung up and he, apparently, instantly got to work on the magnanimous so-it-ends email (unless, possibly, he had it pre-drafted, like a celebrity obit). In part, I think, the haste was to instantly recast things as his ending it (he didn't). In large part, though, I think it was an attempt to cement it, to make it bloody well take this time, and I'm ok with that. In fact, I think it's a good idea -- such a good idea, even, that I'm not replying and will let him have the last word (and, if you know me at all, you know that's monumental).
Of course I'm distraught. Crushed. Anxious. Even a little irrationally angry: K was never meant to be permanent. K was someone I picked up in NY to get over a different unrequited crush in NY, which ignited on the heels of a horrible romantic meltdown in Portland (it was an unusually bad season). It was clear to me from the start that K wasn't the love of my life, and yet through sheer persistence...and then inertia...and then, finally, that damned shared subjectivity, he nevertheless became an integral part of it. And in so doing, I burned up the last five years before one hits the higher-chances-of-being-killed-by-a-terrorist territory. I knew it was a mistake, and I was unable to act, and I suspect I'll be paying for my cowardice for a long time to come.
On a day-to-day basis, I try to tell myself, what's the difference? He hasn't been here for months, and there was never a clear sense of how we might get back together. Now it'll be just like that, only with less ambiguity. Somehow, though, the difference is huge.
2 Comments:
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 2:39 AM
-
Anonymous said...
-
- 8:41 AM
Post a CommentAh Querida....
And so it goes. Well, while there's not much of a bright side, you could also have been married for less than two years, get dumped, and then have your life go to pieces over the next eight years (cough cough).
Still.....After reading this update, I have to say that I cannot imagine that K really did give you an ultimatum---I mean, even **I** know that dog won't hunt. Give you an ultimatum? You're middle name is 'I'll see your 'idiot,' and raise you an EF off!'
And he smoked? Don't tell me you're getting way tolerant in your approaching middleish age.
Yeah well....be that as it may. As we say in my generation: Any love is good love. You didn't waste any time. Honest. 'Paying for your cowardice...' Please. Maybe your new friends who don't know you will cluck sympathetically...but come on now. Again, don't be trying to fool an old fooler here. I mean...was this worse than the fake marriage and the real divorce? Or having the King officiate at your fake marriage? Or that ridiculous relationship with that guy who was batshit crazy? (I mean at the time).
What I mean is (and I mean this in a really nice way), you've done crazier and more cowardly stuff before in your life. Way crazier. And you've shaken that stuff off (Yes. Don't even try and say that your soul's made of molasses or something, and all bad things stick on your heart forever). The punch line is that you are smart, funny, good looking, and employed (well--kind of employed). No worries, hon.
On more serious notes--
Despite Mr. Obama being up over twenty percentage points in Oregon, he's blanketed Oregon television. Ms. Clinton has a television ad that only nerd-os like me could love. Joseph Bloom and Valarie Palme are seated next to each other, and describe how Bush tried to destroy their lives...anyway, it's not looking good for Hillary.
What's also kind of funny is that Senator Gordon Smith (R-Or) is running an ad trashing the two front runners in the Demo primary. The ad ends accusing the two Demos as being 'more of the same,' when it's 'time for a change.' What? In response, EVERY Demo in Oregon is sunning against George Bush (Oregon Secretary of State, members of the Oregon Senate and House, locals officials in Portland, etc). And the Iraq war is the most popular issue in the ads...So unless old Gordo is ready to dust off his Peace Beads, he's going to be losing some sleep between now and November....
Finally, I've been reading Weisenthal's 'Sunflowers,' and the associated essays. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts....
Bill Abendroth
billaben@teleport.com
This is sad and I'm sorry you're in pain. There are people here who care about you. And people all over the world who do as well.
<< Home