Monday, November 12, 2007

Creative disobedience

Annoyed by retail clerks who insist on taking down your zip code before they lift a finger?
Bothered by the coercive way in which you participate in corporate marketing research?
Unwilling to help in the creation of mass junkmail campaigns?

Did you know that, as of Nov 19, domestic zip codes for the Republic of the Marshall Islands and the Federated States of Micronesia will be restored?

Might I suggest 96943 (Yap)?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If only I could pay my credit card bills in giant stone discs. -- THF

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always give 02657, the ZIP code for Provincetown. To savvy data analysts at corporate HQ, it's a clear signal: this is a pink pound being spent in your store. (OK, technically, a pink dollar, but that doesn't sound as snazzy.)

And I am glad to hear about the RMI ZIP code situation! (Seriously, I want to know how you found out about this.)

4:39 AM  
Blogger esquiver said...

Sadly...it's my job to know.
Even more sadly...that's probably the first useful thing that's come out of eight months of being an Oceania-watcher. (Is it any wonder that Rangoon's looking good?)

But oo, I like your idea: monkeywrenching and empowering. Anyone know the zip code for Northampton? ;-)

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is Provincetown, and why are those dollars pink? Hey, does Guantanamo have a zip code? I'd use THAT in a heart beat....

I remain,
Consistently annoying.
Bill Abendroth

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone know the zip code for Northampton? ;-)

Yup. 01060 to 01063. Take your pick.
Copycat! ;-)

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,

Provincetown is a former artist's colony at the tip of Cape Cod that is largely taken over by Boston's wealthy gay and lesbian community during the non-winter months.

It is also a fishing village (to the extent that those still exist in the U.S.) with a significant Portuguese-immigrant community, which makes for a very interesting mix of cultures.

But I digress: a late 30s man with no wedding ring and a pasty complexion (suggesting little time spent outdoors) who gives the Provincetown ZIP code to an unsuspecting cashier is probably not a Portuguese fisherman.

3:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eye-tie Dude--
Thanks for clearing that up. On a related note, my conservative parents (prior to moving up to Oregon), bought a condo in the San Diego neighborhood of Hillcrest. If you've never been to San Diego, Hillcrest is a fairly even mix of older, brutally conservative retirees and gay yuppies or gay DINKS (I'm not sure of the current nomeclature--but no points for guessing which camp my parents belonged to). In their best WASP tradition, my parents pretty much opted not to notice or comment on the neighbors--which sometimes could be a little difficult. One of my Dad's favorite restaurants (less than a block away from their place) was called 'The Mix.' Now, my gaydar is one of the worst on the planet--but even I could tell the fine line this restaurant catered to. But the food was excellent...

I remain:
Carefully clueless.
Bill Abendroth

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Annoying Man does it again!

My new zip code for marketing purposes? Good old 09593--which apparently is the US Naval Station at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, according to the OFFICIAL web site of the 'oldest overseas US Naval Station.' I doubt the prison complex itself has a zip, which would be my preference. While not exactly in the same league as Thoreau to Emmerson 'What are you doing OUT there?'--it's close.

No it's not.

I remain:
A loser.
Bill Abendroth

3:42 PM  
Post a Comment

<< Home