Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Miscellany

- "Gostats" not only sucks, their website reads as if it was written by a six-year-old. I've banished them from my page, and we will speak of them no more. But if you're shopping for a nice alternative to sitemeter, check out statcounter. I feel mildly guilty that I stripped off their advertising (it created clutter), because they really are pretty slick, for a free service.

- Plausible deniability will continue to prevail, for now -- many thanks to those who weighed in.

Turning to the newspapers...

- A belated happy Janmashtami to one and all. Last Wednesday, the streets were packed with human pyramids reaching up to snatch ceramic piñatas filled with sweet yogurt, in re-enactment of Krishna's mischievous theft of butter. (Why aren't the piñatas filled with butter? And why can't I stop asking questions like these?) Last Thursday, the papers were filled with articles like these.

- And if dairy isn't your thing, stop by my neighboring suburb of Mahim, to drink from the tidal creek and the sea, which have suddenly become desalinated. While the authorities attempt to explain both that recent heavy rains have temporarily diluted the seawater and that this section of the creek and the coast are extremely contaminated by industrial dyes, chemical effluent, and untreated sewage, those poor beleaguered hospitals are getting prepared yet again.

- Not to be outdone, in the north of India, clay idols are drinking milk. (Why? Well, duh. The water isn't safe. Pay attention!)

- And finally, I returned from a few days in Ahmedabad last night to discover that my TV had become a victim of Indian morality. Some channels are back today, but all the movie and "foreign channels," including the one on which I'd normally spend my Thursday night glued to rebroadcasts of Lost the MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour, have been replaced by a petulant notice informing me that the station's fate is in the hands of the High Court. Because, y'know, even a cursory glance at the newspaper by a foreigner like me confirms that the most serious issue facing India today is the third season of Sex in the City.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home