Saturday, August 19, 2006

[Title redacted]...

The time to quit was yesterday.

That was the title of a cable (and my reaction to it) which came out last week.

Every year, the FS goes through this massive, expensive, and (for the players) high-stakes game of musical chairs, as people nearing the end of their tour lay down "bids" on their next posting. The fairness and transparency of the system has always been subject to fierce debate, especially as a series of little changes recently has rewritten the odds in favor of veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan (while ignoring those who've served in disease- and violent-crime-ridden posts like Port-au-Prince or Lagos). Of course, many people saw the changes as simply making explicit what was always common practice.

This latest cable pretty much ensures that a diplomat will never see Wellington or Madrid unless she first survives Baghdad or Kabul. It also restructures the timing of the bidding season to rather blatantly use prolonged uncertainty as a stick to drive the reluctant towards dubious assignments. Worse yet was the tone of the document, which can be summarized as "unless someone volunteers for Iraq, I'm turning this car around!"

I don't think the often-maligned pin-striped set are particularly cowardly. I'm not a huge fan of the overall set of traits the FS Exam seems to select for, but I've got no complaints about the sort of thrill-seeking that seems to end up in the mix. I'd say that, on average, we're more up for a novel and dangerous challenge than most Americans.

But there's dangerous, and then there's stupid. (Granted, the military has now agreed to protect Provincial Reconstruction Teams, but the security situation has also deteriorated since then, so I think it's pretty much a wash.)

Nor is it entirely about personal safety. Quite a number of us just have no desire to wade into what looks like a bureaucratic quagmire of gross inefficiency and mismanagement -- we deal with that at quite a high enough level at other posts, thank you -- in support of a war we disagree with.

Foreign Service officers pledge "worldwide availability" when we join, and this term is being thrown around accusingly a great deal these days. I know my own track record looks bad (for the record, I never bid on London, and was in fact trying to get to Malaysia -- long story), but I think my interpretation of "worldwide availability" is common: I'll volunteer for relief work in any disaster zone anywhere around the globe; I don't participate in military campaigns. Absent changing the relation between State and the Pentagon -- which, I fear, is exactly "the future" that is "now" -- is it fair to insist that civilians do anything else?

3 Comments:

Blogger esquiver said...

Oh yeah: And I don't mind going to Kabul, except my mother won't let me.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. E:

Wow. In the immortal words of Hunter S. Thompson's dedication in The Great Shark Hunt: "To Richard Milhouse Nixon, who never let me down." I simply cannot believe that the current administration always finds a way to leave me speechless. Call me stupid (you do anyway), but I have been stunned ever since this President threw out the ABM treaty for no reason I could understand.

I have just finished reading Fiasco, which pointed out that Bremmer Husein's CPA was known as "Can't Produce Anything." I thought that was bad, but now this? The US Armed Forces can't pacify Iraqi neighborhoods, so now we're sending out the really big guns: State Department Pencilnecks. What?

My new friend in Bagdad, who I correspond with (when she has electricity), also paints a starkly different picture of her hometown--and not for the better.

But what really pisses me off--even more than the hypocrisy--is the White House's persistant efforts in blaming the media-messenger. More reporters have been killed in the four years of the Iraq conflict than twenty years in Vietnam. How dare the White House blame such a heroic press corps? Especially when the press is doing what the press is supposed to be doing: telling the truth.

Oh well, what the hell. Push comes to shove, Mr. E., you could always dust off some of your more unsavory past associations (HA HA HA! Like anyone cares after twenty-five years...But I *could* have been Bill the Jackel. Honest!)

At any rate, just let me know & I'll forward you my friend's contact info when you get to the Green Zone!

I remain,

Bill Roth

6:21 PM  
Blogger esquiver said...

But Bill, I HAVE always heard you referred to as "Bill the Jack--" oh, wait. I don't think they were actually saying "jackal." Never mind.

12:23 AM  
Post a Comment

<< Home